General Rules for Space Heating With Electricity for Northglenn
Did you know that you should never plug your space heater into a power strip? According to the National Fire Protection Association, 79 percent of home fires are caused by plugging space heating equipment into the wrong outlet or positioning the heater too close to objects in the home which causes a fire to start. SERVPRO® of Broomfield/NW Adams County offers these general tips to help the people of Northglenn safely operate space heaters in your residence or commercial property:
- Keep your heating equipment and anything that can burn at least 3 feet apart
- Plug power cords only into outlets with sufficient capacity and never into an extension cord
- Turn off heaters when you leave a room or go to bed
- Inspect for cracked or broken plugs or loose connections and replace any before using
- Never use or store flammable or combustible liquids near or in rooms with heaters
- Test smoke alarms at least once a month.
These are just a few tips for using a space heater safely and they should be part of your safety plan. Practice the safety plan often and when evacuation is necessary, make sure that everyone knows the spot to meet outside. SERVPRO of Broomfield/NW Adams County wants to make sure that Northglenn is prepared! Call us at 303-452-9900.
SERVPRO of Broomfield/NW Adams County is independently owned and operated.