Prevent Frozen Pipes in Westminster
Westminster knows freezing weather. SERVPRO® of Broomfield/NW Adams County also knows the joys of a freeze are better outdoors than inside. When frozen pipes burst, they bring too much of the great outdoors to the inside. The Federal Emergency Management Association reports that every year, burst pipes damage at least one room in a quarter of a million homes or offices. SERVPRO of Broomfield/NW Adams County hopes these tips will prevent water damage from burst pipes.
Preparing the Pipes in Westminster:
• Know the risks: subfreezing weather, exposed pipes, uninsulated areas
• A cold snap is a day or more of temperatures that don't rise above 20 degrees F
• Wrap exposed pipes with several inches of pipe insulation
• Invest in insulation for the areas that have pipes – it will save you money
• Don't worry about wasting energy by keeping the thermostat up – keep the indoor temperature at least 55 degrees F, even if there will be no one at home or at the office
• During a cold snap, cold water dripping through a tap will prevent the pipes from freezing
• There's no need to water the grounds anyway, so remove hoses from the taps
• Keep cabinet doors open in kitchens and bathrooms so the warm air will circulate around the pipes
SERVPRO of Broomfield/NW Adams County will remediate storm damage or water damage “Like it never even happened”, but strongly believes in the power of prevention.
SERVPRO of Broomfield/NW Adams County is independently owned and operated.